- Empty the bowels before if possible
- Wash hands with soap and water
- You could lie on one side with your knees pulled up towards the chest or you could squat
- Gently but firmly, insert the tapered end of the suppository first into the rectum using your finger. Push the suppository as far back as possible and clench buttocks if necessary.
- Maintain position for a few minutes
- Avoid emptying bowels for at least an hour (unless suppository is a laxative)
- Wash hands
Always read drug labels for more on how to take your medicines safely.